Saturday, February 11, 2006

music education

We started with music from the first day on, or rather even before. I was singing a Hungarian folksong to Timur even when he was still in my belly. He knows Tavaszi szél vizet áraszt very well and this song calms him down still today. He even reacts with a smile when I sing it to him. I also listened to music during my pregnancy trying to educate him in this way. I read that classical music was good for babies, so this is what we had after the birth. We have 2 Classical Chill Out cds, which we regularly listen to. He probably knows them by heart by now. :) We also have some Chinese and Indian music and now we are slowly introducing our own stuff, LGT, jazz from Mathijs, Erykah etc. He seems to react when he hears a new kind of music for the first time. I was breastfeeding once when Mathijs changed the music. Timur stopped for a while, listened and then went on. The expression on his face was: 'oh, this is cool'.

Mathijs has already introduced Timur the keyboard, the flute, the harmonica and of course, his saxophone. I shot some of the 'lessons' with our digicamera. We'll go on with music. I would like him to enjoy music (which is already happening) and maybe learn to play an instrument later, but we'll see. I don't want to project anything on him. Try not to show my expectations. Of course every parent has them. :)

Added on 22/02/06:
Mama borrowed a funny book from the library: Baby's & Music. As I flipped through, there is not much new in this book, though may give us some fresh ideas on how to proceed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home