Friday, January 20, 2006

why timur?


The selection of the name came spontaneously. I was flipping through names for a while and then at a magical moment I picked this one. I liked it, because it was short, easy to spell and pronounce, and can be used internationally. The word Timur means iron (hope our Timur will be a strong guy) in the Chagatai language, which is an extinct Turkic language once spoken in Central Asia also by the Timurids. Timur was a true military leader with all the good and bad sides of it. And also a great patron of arts. He lived nearly 70 years, which is relatively long for a soldier in the middle ages. He was someone, who was able to make changes in the world by creating an huge empire, which streched from China to the Black Sea. His city is Samarkand, ...we'll go there one day. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timur

Mathijs quickly agreed to the name, there was no discussion. I think, he appreciated that I made a decision. We added 2 other names: JOHANNES & LEVENTE. Johannes is one of Mathijs's ancestors, who he is proud of. Maybe he will tell more about him here later on. Levente is an old Hungarian name, meaning apprentice. My mother wanted my brother to have been called Levente, but he had to be named after my father out of tradition. Levente is a tribute to my mother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home